Cannes, 7th June
From 4 to 7 June, IMPALA was back in Cannes for what was probably its busiest edition of MIDEM yet.
As part of its renewed partnership with MIDEM, IMPALA hosted and co-organised a series of panels and keynotes alongside the Worldwide Independent Network (WIN), Merlin, the global digital rights agency for independents, and the Independent Music Publishers Forum (IMPF). Together, we talked about labels, new business models, young publishers, and the digital business. The booming of the music scene in Central and Eastern Europe was also a key feature and a special workshop for record labels was organised with Spotify.
MIDEM was also the opportunity for the independent trade body to organise its third board meeting of the year.
IMPALA’s Executive Chair Helen Smith commented: “IMPALA has been a partner of MIDEM for over 10 years now. Every year, it is a key event in our members' calendar. It is a key opportunity to put the spotlight on all angles of the independent world. That’s what we were aiming for this year again.”
Here is an overview of the panels organised and co-organised by IMPALA (see links for videos):
Wednesday 5th June
Thursday 6th June
Global Indie Voices
- Spotify workshop for record labels
- The Bourgeoing Music Scenes of Central & Eastern Europe
- Indies’ New Business Models
- Building a New Business Model for Modern Music Companies: A Talk with Stephan Bourdoiseau (Wagram)
- International Expansion for Small/Young Publishers: Meeting Partners and Sub-publishers
- Everything You Know Is Wrong – How a Generation of Rights Holders Are Reimagining Themselves in the Digital Economy
Friday 7th June