IMPALA’s sustainability programme was published on 8th April 2021 and reviewed in November 2022. The programme sets an overall goal for the European independent music sector, with voluntary targets and voluntary tools, see more below.
Are you a member of IMPALA? Sign up for free and start tracking your footprint today and join over 100 users who are already tracking their impact.
IMPALA is now calling on all interested members to join the #WeMeasureTogether campaign and use the calculator to produce carbon reports. This will allow IMPALA to create an overview of the sector and develop a carbon baseline. From this understanding it will be possible to develop more targeted pathways for action that will benefit the whole independent music sector. IMPALA members can join the campaign by publishing the visual below and their carbon report, with the #WeMeasureTogether hashtag.
In June 2023, following the European Green Week, IMPALA released its first membership Carbon Calculator report, accessible here.
IMPALA’s Climate charter
IMPALA commits to:
1. Hold framework for European independent music sector targets
2. Convene and administer a Sustainability Task Force
3. Appoint a climate advocate for IMPALA’s board and each committee
4. Develop carbon reporting tool for members, disclose aggregate statistics
5. Transparently monitor and report own climate impacts
6. Map and share examples of best practices across Europe
7. Make climate literacy training available twice a year
8. Produce guidance for members with practical tips
9. Recognise no one size fits all, each company & country is different
10. Engage with suppliers to promote change across the supply chain
11. Work with digital music services to assess & reduce carbon footprint
12. Explore possible collective offsetting solutions for the sector
13. Support initiatives using music & culture to mobilise climate action
14. Inform members about EU funding for climate projects, help them apply
15. Speak out where we support specific issues and use our voice in Brussels
To see this charter in long form, click here
IMPALA – Independent Music Companies Association
Rue des Deux Eglises 37-39, 1000, Brussels, BELGIUM
+32 2 503 31 38